Quick news on what to expect in 2016

The place to find out anything and everything about the MC Gathering of Friends - Held every July in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Quick news on what to expect in 2016

Postby David Tilley » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:33 pm

For those interested in what 2016 has in store, here is a quick run down.

Basic range. 25 new tools, still same amount in range (see other post for new castings).

Power Grabs. Next year will be placed in boxes on display rather than bags (they are calling it the Heritage Box). Yes, this will be a return of the simple cardboard box for a model. The plan is for all models to included, not just 11 random ones. That way they can put a display just about anywhere for Matchbox (mainly counter tops), not just hanging on pegs or in a toy aisle.

Best of International. Yes that is right, the Best of returns. 10 models with higher spec detailing and 2-part wheels like the Supreme Heroes series this year. 9 licensed vehicles and the Routemaster Bus (as it always is, no changes to body).

75th Anniversary Jeep series. I believe this will be exclusive to Walmart. This year they are going to have some exclusively Jeep packaged models in Walmart (sounds like standard issues with unique blister), but next year for the 75th Anniversary they will receive 8 exclusive liveried Jeeps.

5-packs. There will only be 8 packs for the year.

9/10-packs. There will be 6 with an exclusive model per pack.

Skybusters. 5 new tools (can't remember what they are).

Mission Force. 6 exclusive sets.

Oh and we saw the Range Rover Evoque resin prepro. It is coming.

:) :D :P

mbxamb4

Re: Quick news on what to expect in 2016

Postby mbxamb4 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Yes that is right.... EVOQUE!!!
David & I smiled when we saw the resin casting. I can't wait to finally get it! Thanks Design Team!

ritchie

Postby ritchie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:30 pm

many thanks for the update on the new ambassador, new tools and the above. Evoque! it has been issued by 3 brands already (majorette, rmz, welly). really excited to see what mbx can do on evoque!

markkaz
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby markkaz » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:08 pm

The Power Grabs and Best Of were nice plans for the future

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:36 pm

From what I can tell from the resin mockup of the Evoque and discussions with Abe Lugo from Matchbox' design team, the Evoque appears to be having a roof section made up from the window piece (this is what the resin looked like), and will be painted up seperately as one of the tampo passes each time (from Abe). I could be wrong (so don't take it as gospel) but that is what it sounds like could be happening. But we will be seeing it soon. Once we have a proper final version we will know for sure, so don't go nuts at the moment saying it is going to be awful. We need to see how the final article looks.

Abe is also the person who did design the '68 Mudstang. I do actually like it. I am not a huge 4x4 fan in general, but I love Mustangs, and this one seemed to appeal to me. He says he is aiming for a slight rear high look, so it will likely dip down towards the front. But it pretty much looks like the body from the Mustang GT/CS on a new lifted base with the usual 4x4 wheels, and a large suspension type look to the inside of the wheel arches. He was going to go with an engine out the front too, but never got around to it.

I asked about the Ford Transit too. Seeing as it is going to be sporting a dish on the roof that you will be able to lift and lower, I asked if this will compromise the interior so as to keep to 4 parts. He says it will, but the front seats will be created out of the base section so it will still have a visible interior and see through windows.

:) :D :P

mbx64
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby mbx64 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:04 pm

I am surprised that the Transit will have any interior features at all; that is really nice to hear. I did notice that the resin sample had the regular size disk wheels and I thought that the smaller ones would suit it better as the wheels on the real version look too tiny for the van itself, but I do not mind.

Any word if this will be plastic or diecast bodied? The way Gerry and Abe were during the presentations makes me think there is a slight possibility that this could be metal-bodied. All previous Transits have been and I would be a bit disappointed if it was plastic.

I think the Chrysler 300 and Mazda Miata had some very nice looking resin samples and those will both be popular models. I know you wanted a Miata so you must be happy, and surprisingly it is Matchbox's first. The 300 struck me as an odd choice simply because it is not that popular of a vehicle and it is aging, but I am glad that it has been added. A proper Chrysler, not the PT Cruiser like their last Chrysler model.

Thanks for the added info.

carmagreviews
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby carmagreviews » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:03 am

Yee Gods a 68 Mustang on Fat Feet - Is this not Big Blue Territory? (these big Feet vehicles are peg warmers does Mattal ever do any research outside its Ivory tower?) - instead a 2016 Mustang Convertible would have been better to replace brilliant 2007 one? - Fat Feet Mustang I am NOT Buying!
Chrysler 300C is Second Generation model and in Europe would you believe is sold as a Lancia! so perhaps thats why it was chosen as its sold in Europe!

Range Rover Evogue sounds like Plastic body guys ..I better buy the Welly or Majorette one!

Return to “MC Gathering of Friends”