restoration question

A place to discuss all things related to the original Matchbox series vehicles up to 1969/70
gcbear

restoration question

Postby gcbear » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:27 am

hello all
Does anyone on this list do restorations? If so I'm wondering what does one do to replace the axles once removed. Are the same axles re-used. do you glue the wheel to the axle (which I really don't want to do). Any ideas.

Thank you

Steve

matchboxtom
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: restoration question

Postby matchboxtom » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:48 pm

When I do have to remove axles I just reglue the one wheel on. If you buy some professional Jewelers tools you might be able to repeen (sp?) the axle ends. Or use a new axle and crimp the end like very early RW's.

Sometimes I just pop the base off and repaint the body and glue the base back on and never remove the axles.

Sometimes I have just taped over the wheels and repainted the body with the base still attached.

Just have some fun and try. Beaters are usually pretty cheap so even ruining one or two is worth the experience.

Dan777

Postby Dan777 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 am

Hello all,
I know this is an old thread but I have seen some real bad looking Matchbox vehicles for cheap on ebay and I may give it try.

matchboxtom
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby matchboxtom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:15 pm

Dan777 wrote:Hello all,
I know this is an old thread but I have seen some real bad looking Matchbox vehicles for cheap on ebay and I may give it try.

Definitely try it Dan. A new plastic model kit costs more than $20. You can get beat up Matchbox for less than a dollar. Even if you ruin a few so what. Have fun. If you don't like your paint job strip it and try again. Nothing to loose!!!

Dan777

Postby Dan777 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Sounds good to me. I will try to get some ugly ones. :lol: Thanks.

Return to “Regular Wheels (1953 - 1969)”