Request for identification on a Ferrari Testarossa!

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
das_mittel

Request for identification on a Ferrari Testarossa!

Postby das_mittel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:42 pm

Hello everybody, glad to be here! Matchbox was the first half of my childhood back then before Hot Wheels took over in '03, so Matchbox always has a special place in the heart.

I recently bought a Matchbox Ferrari Testarossa in hopes of making it into a USB Flash Drive. I figured not only did it look better than the Hot Wheels version, it also had a front plastic grill that could easily be removed to accommodate my plans. I guess the car I have in my possession is a Matchbox Premiere World Class Series 19 Ferrari Testarossa.

However, unlike all the other copies I've seen online, this one doesn't have paint on the front indicator lights. The source I bought the car off of seems to be a reseller and not the type to tamper with their products. Outside of a front chip, there were no imperfections with the car itself. I've tried sites such as ChFalkenstein's, but couldn't find any leads. Is it an error? Variation? I will most likely still cut it up, as I want to wheelswap it, but I was just curious as to what I had. Please let me know, thanks!

Image Image

Bonus pic: wheelswap donor

BrabusAMG

Re: Request for identification on a Ferrari Testarossa!

Postby BrabusAMG » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:27 am

It could be a manufacturing flaw, in which case, don't you dare cut it up! Rare variations like that tend to be worth a fair bit, especially since it could be a one-off. David Tilley would probably be interested in a model like that :D.

Also bear in mind that that the Premiere Collection was a limited-edition series. One of my pet hates is people who "customise" (aka damage) limited edition models; especially old models like Premiere series cars. If you want to make a flash drive, I'd recommend getting a Testarossa from the regular line-up (preferably in worse condition); that way you can still wheel-swap it (and even repaint it) without making thousands of people despise you ;).
Mattel, please sell Matchbox to the Simba Dickie Group!

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Request for identification on a Ferrari Testarossa!

Postby David Tilley » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:12 am

Yes it does appear to be an error. The lights should be on there too. I don't see a problem with doing something with a premium issue model over a standard issue. I have always been of the belief that once you own it, it is yours to do with as you please. It is your property after all.

After all, I am the guy who will tear apart any package to get at the model inside, even if that package is as unique and rare as the model. So I would never say to not do something to a model if you want to.

:) :D :P

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”