Request for identification on a Ferrari Testarossa!

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
das_mittel

Request for identification on a Ferrari Testarossa!

Postby das_mittel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:42 pm

Hello everybody, glad to be here! Matchbox was the first half of my childhood back then before Hot Wheels took over in '03, so Matchbox always has a special place in the heart.

I recently bought a Matchbox Ferrari Testarossa in hopes of making it into a USB Flash Drive. I figured not only did it look better than the Hot Wheels version, it also had a front plastic grill that could easily be removed to accommodate my plans. I guess the car I have in my possession is a Matchbox Premiere World Class Series 19 Ferrari Testarossa.

However, unlike all the other copies I've seen online, this one doesn't have paint on the front indicator lights. The source I bought the car off of seems to be a reseller and not the type to tamper with their products. Outside of a front chip, there were no imperfections with the car itself. I've tried sites such as ChFalkenstein's, but couldn't find any leads. Is it an error? Variation? I will most likely still cut it up, as I want to wheelswap it, but I was just curious as to what I had. Please let me know, thanks!

Image Image

Bonus pic: wheelswap donor

BrabusAMG

Re: Request for identification on a Ferrari Testarossa!

Postby BrabusAMG » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:27 am

It could be a manufacturing flaw, in which case, don't you dare cut it up! Rare variations like that tend to be worth a fair bit, especially since it could be a one-off. David Tilley would probably be interested in a model like that :D.

Also bear in mind that that the Premiere Collection was a limited-edition series. One of my pet hates is people who "customise" (aka damage) limited edition models; especially old models like Premiere series cars. If you want to make a flash drive, I'd recommend getting a Testarossa from the regular line-up (preferably in worse condition); that way you can still wheel-swap it (and even repaint it) without making thousands of people despise you ;).
Mattel, please sell Matchbox to the Simba Dickie Group!

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:12 am

Yes it does appear to be an error. The lights should be on there too. I don't see a problem with doing something with a premium issue model over a standard issue. I have always been of the belief that once you own it, it is yours to do with as you please. It is your property after all.

After all, I am the guy who will tear apart any package to get at the model inside, even if that package is as unique and rare as the model. So I would never say to not do something to a model if you want to.

:) :D :P

das_mittel

Postby das_mittel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:02 am

Thank you both for your replies and insight! I didn't even consider that cars from more premium series like World Class could have errors of this kind.

I will hold off cutting up the car for 10 days, not because of its potential monetary value, but because I would like to give somebody who can appreciate its potential value the chance to own it. If anybody would like to be that person, please PM me! Not selling, only looking to trade, my variation/error World Class Series 19 Ferrari Testarossa for a regular World Class Series 19 Ferrari Testarossa in relatively the same mint loose condition (: I think that's fair enough

...and David Tilley, loose collecting is more of my collecting style as well!

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”