Frustrated in the UK

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
MikeG

Re: Frustrated in the UK

Postby MikeG » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Visited the Asda "Supercentre" in West Bridgford (Nottingham) yesterday. A week ago they only had the same J39 stock that's been hanging around since January. Yesterday they'd got the Case C stock which includes almost all of wave B as well. Absent were the Ford GT as already noted and also the Fiat 500L from wave C, not sure if they're not included for any reason or just that I was beaten to them. Will be checking other stores in the area next week. A rather underwhelming selection in my opinion. I note the Hudson Hornet baseplate now reads MB1046 so that issue now sorted. I know only a few new castings released so far this year but there does appear to be a lot of gaps in the numbering, any revised castings in the offing? (I note the revised Land Rover 110 base is still marked MB838). Hope we don't have to wait another 15 weeks for the next batch.

William

Postby William » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Fiat 500Ls in my local ASDA but no GT40s as mentioned.

jagr68uk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby jagr68uk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:56 am

I was fortunate to have rare access to a just opened box of 72 models in my local ASDA before the stock was put in the bins this morning. Plenty of Fiat's, but no GT40's.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Visited 2 more ASDAs today, both had the new stock and one had some Fiats (nice model not helped by a rather dull colour and blacked-out windows - the bumper/sills component appears to include an interior, or at least to be able to so why not let us see it!) but no GT40s. From the entry above it would appear this model (GT40) isn't included in this case, any suggestions as to why?! Maybe it'll turn up at Poundland in 2 months' time.
I'd visited 8 different stores in the week before last with no sign of anything new so at least the new case does appear to be getting into the stores quickly, unlike case A which took about a month to get to all branches, hopefully this indicates a good turnover of stock. Anyone have any idea how the stock is allocated to the stores? Do they get what Asda's buyers order or what Mattel send them?

jagr68uk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby jagr68uk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:45 pm

It unfortunately appears always to be what Mattel sends them...........Mike, did you get my PM about Arnold?

William

Postby William » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:45 am

Strange one but MB 2015 (!) case G has started to appear at a number of Home Bargains stores I visited recently. Includes yellow Cayman and police BMW M5.

Just in case anyone is after these.

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:34 am

Goodness me, that same batch littered the pegs of Poundland for nigh on a year so I wonder where Home Bargains stock came from?
On another note, although ive been very disappointed at how long its taken for ASDA to finally update their new batches I have to congratulate them for doing it on a grand scale. All the stores ive visited since the Easter break have been jam packed with new stuff including the truly gorgeous Hudson Hornet.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Visited my local Home Bargains today on the strength of the above and found a couple I'd missed. They have a sticker on the back of the card in a language I don't recognise but which refers to Jakarta which gives a clue of where they've come from - the plot thickens!
Also got a peek inside a new case of 72 models in Asda - just a case of being in the right place at the right time - and definitely no GT40s. 72 models, 4 of each = 18 so some omissions inevitable, I think a couple of the generics from waves B&C missing too but not overly concerned. Resisted the temptation to buy another Hudson to convert to a standard road car as it would likely only join my box of projects....

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Not sure how it happens over there but I live in rural Australia and find that some stores have cars older than some of my children. I went to a service station in Warrnambool the other day and every card there had a SOLID coating of dust over the top of the blister, got a couple of nice cars I wont have to ship from US/EUR

Ewen J

Postby Ewen J » Mon May 01, 2017 8:55 pm

Been having a look in a few Home Bargains, and indeed they do have stuff from a few years ago. None I need or want, but nice to know stuff you miss might come around again. Someone mentioned TOFS a while ago, so I had a look in the Kilsyth branch as it was on my cycle route today. They had nothing in, but it looked like something from the 70's.

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”